Sunday, May 3, 2009

[Guest Blogger] Have You Ever Dreamed of Writing for Children?

Today's guest blogger is Dana Lehman, author of the Mom's Choice Award-winning children's Walnut Grove series. She is working on the third title in the series (currently titled I Can Do It!) to be released in 2010.

We asked Dana to share with us her inspiration on how she became a children's author and how others can follow their dreams, too.
__________

When I was in college I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was dating my boyfriend (future husband). He was going to school to be a mechanical engineer. He said that he always knew he wanted to be an engineer. I was envious because I didn’t know what kind of career I wanted to pursue. I wondered…would I ever find a career that I really loved?

I did know one thing. I loved my boyfriend (now husband) and I wanted to get married to him, have children, and stay home with my children. That part of my dream…I accomplished. I know that I am fortunate that I have been able to be a stay at home mom. I would not trade my time with my kids for anything. I have enjoyed every minute of it…well almost all of it!

About three years ago I wrote a children’s book. Originally, just for my boys. My mom used to tell us stories about a squirrel when we were growing up. Every squirrel story taught us a lesson. When my kids got older she started telling them squirrel stories. When I watched her tell her stories, and watched their faces, it brought back memories of when I was a child.

The lesson my mom always taught us when we were growing up was to treat others as you would like to be treated. One day, after visiting my mom, and listening to one of her squirrel stories, I decided that I was going to write a book. A book for my kids, about a squirrel, who gets teased because he is different, and always treats others as he wants to be treated. With all the violence in schools it was a good lesson to teach children. The earlier they were taught…the better.

My mother-in-law is an artist. I asked her to do the illustrations. She accepted and in my opinion did a beautiful job!

I had no intention of getting my book published. It was originally a gift for my boys for Christmas. I have a lot of friends that are teachers. They were encouraging me to get Adventures at Walnut Grove: A Lesson about Teasing published and go to schools to do author presentations.

It took me a while to finally get the courage to pursue getting my book published. I kept doubting myself. All kinds of thoughts ran through my mind. What if kids don’t like my story? What if parents don’t like my story? These thoughts lasted about a year…

I opened Lehman Publishing in December of 2006. I have a friend that works for a newspaper. She does the lay-out for the newspaper and my books. I hired two editors and a printer. We have now published two books: Adventures at Walnut Grove: A Lesson about Teasing and I DOUBLE Dare You! I am currently working on my third book titled I Can Do It! It is about self-esteem and how you can do anything if you believe in yourself! (It’s always good to write from experience.)

I did not send my manuscript to any publishers because my illustrations were already complete. I read that a publisher only wants your manuscript. They find their own illustrator. That wasn’t an option for me. The illustrations were done and they were just as I had envisioned them.

After the book was done my mother-in-law called and told me that she was donating all of her royalties as illustrator to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. She donates money and I donate books.

Now I do school presentations. Remember how I asked if I would ever find a career that I loved? Well, I found it! Other than being a mom it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I believe I am successful! I will be posting thank you letters on my website that I have received from children soon. I am making a difference in children’s lives! I never imagined I could find a career that I loved this much! I just had to take that step…and believe in myself.


-Dana Lehman

No comments:

Post a Comment