Saturday, April 11, 2009

Are we killing books?

Remember a time without cell phones in every hand? A time when only joggers wore music headphones? Remember when you left work, that's where email stayed? Or, better yet, you didn't have email at work or home?

Remember?

It was called 1987.

In all seriousness, I recently had a discussion on Twitter that has left me disturbed. A fellow Tweeter gave a raving review about her new Kindle and how she probably wouldn't buy another "real" book again. EVER.

Of course, as a book seller, this left me quite disturbed. But as a book lover, it bugged me even more.

I haven't seen a Kindle. I haven't held one in my hands, so I can't really discuss the product itself. I can, however, discuss the theory of electronic books. I mean, as the way of the world now, doesn't it just seem so, I don't know...impersonal? Won't you miss the feel of an actual book in your hands? And the smell? What about the smell of books? (You book lovers know exactly what I'm talking about.) What about turning real tangible pages and the ability to place your bookmark in just the right spot? I don't foresee a cold electronic object fulfilling that need for books for me.

Look, I love technology as much as the next guy. I've been known to yell at my husband for not turning on his IM so that we can message when he is in his upstairs office and I'm working in my downstairs office. However, I just don't see myself ever choosing the ability to read a book off my telephone over holding a real book. At this point, it's just not that appealing. Reading a book is more than just the words for me. There's some connection that you get with a book, an author, when you hold the book. I've never, ever felt that way when holding an electronic device.

But that's just me.

Wonder what ever happened to all those 8-track tapes anyway?!?

6 comments:

  1. I have to agree to a point, Jackie. Although I do not have one and do not want one---I think the Kindle is good for people :
    1. who can't hold a book due to a medical condition,
    2. have an eye condition that prohibits them from reading very small print, as the Kindle does have an enlarging feature on it, and
    3. don't have a large space to put a thick book while traveling.

    That said, I do agree with you in every thing that you said. I think with all the technologies that we have in this day and age, that the world is becoming too impersonal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. As a reader and author I must be able to hold the books I cherish most in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Annonymous: As a consultant, I used to travel every week. Carrying hardbacks was a pain, so I opted for paperbacks. Like I said, I haven't seen a Kindle, but isn't it kind of like carrying a hardback? Also, you make valid points for medical conditions.

    @D.B.: I'm with you! Keep cranking otu those REAL paper books so we can read them! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>>In all seriousness, I recently had a discussion on Twitter that has left me disturbed. A fellow Tweeter gave a raving review about her new Kindle and how she probably wouldn't buy another "real" book again. EVER.

    Add me to that list. And here's why:
    http://mikecane2008.wordpress.com/2008/12/30/the-horror-of-paper-books/

    Ask yourself: Are you in business? Or do you want to cling to a fetish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike:
    We're definitely in business. We save our fetishes for other things ;o)

    We have to admit, that is a scary picture you posted on your blog (and sad). Maybe someday there will just be a Land of Misfit Paper Books (ala Rudolph).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use to say the exact same thing about pictures. I loved picking them up from the lab, opening the envelope, and looking at each one. I was very late on the digital camera train. In fact, I had the opinion that this will not catch on. Pros will never adopt it (not that I'm a pro). As most everyone else, I have changed my opinion.

    I tend to agree with you Jac. I can't imagine reading an e-book, Kindle or otherwise. But, my guess is that for me, that opinion will probably change. Though I don't see it happening at least until I can use electronic devices during take-offs and landings.

    ReplyDelete